Problem with plugin 'send e-mail'

For talk and Help about everything concerning TV-Browser.
bullzeye

Problem with plugin 'send e-mail'

Beitrag von bullzeye »

I executing tv-browser in a linux environment. (Ubuntu 9.04).

I'm trying to use the 'send e-mail'
The konfiguration is as follows:
Application: /usr/sbin/sendmail
Parameter: xyz@lesve.org

When I try to use the plugin it seems to do nothing.
But the application 'sendmail' has started and wait for the data on STDIN. which never comes.

What is wrong in the konfiguration .......?

Regards
bodo
Site Admin
Re: Problem with plugin 'send e-mail'

Beitrag von bodo »

The Plugin does not work as you think.

Read this: http://enwiki.tvbrowser.org/index.php/Send_e-mail

The Parameter-Setting (where you entered a Email-Adress) is the Parameter that us used to call the application.

In your case it would call:

/usr/sbin/sendmail xyz@lesve.org

And that's not what sendmail needs to send mails.

The Plugin needs an application that is able to except a Param with mailto:bodo@bla.com?subject=hello&body=body . Sendmail is not such an application.

Look into the Wiki-Link i posted in this message to see examples for applications that are able to except those parameters.
bullzeye

Beitrag von bullzeye »

Thanks for the answer.

I think that the plugin dont do what I thought.

Why I use sendmail as an application is that it really 'send e-mail'. If I follow your wiki page
the only thing that happen is that it start my mail-client and it wants user interaction.

What I want is to send the mail with no interaction from the user.

Regards
andre

Beitrag von andre »

You could use mail or mailx.
bodo
Site Admin

Beitrag von bodo »

We don't want to implement everything to be able to send mails. Imap, POP, Sentmail...there are tons of ways to send Mails and we try to focus only on the important parts.

But If you want to implement such a thing, you can with our plugin infrastructure.
bullzeye

Beitrag von bullzeye »

andre hat geschrieben:You could use mail or mailx.
mail/mailx have the same interface as sendmail. I even think mail/mailx use sendmail
andre

Beitrag von andre »

I thought you were looking for a non-interactive MUA, and/or stdin usage examples? If they don't work, 'xterm -e' or the like may help.
bullzeye

Beitrag von bullzeye »

I change plugin.
My idea is to add another application to the 'Calendar Export' .

What should this application do ?
Create an e-mail as RFC 2446/PUBLISH and send this. The best solution is to talk to SMTP server direction.
or maybe use sendmail like application.
To use an parameter e-mail application is impossible as RFC 2446 say it should be a MIME-mail.

Why put it in 'Calendar Export' , beacuse RFC 2446 use iCal which is already implemented.

The problem is that i'm a bad Java programmer but I have done this in Perl.
but maybe I will make a try.

Is Somebody interest in this new feature ?
bodo
Site Admin

Beitrag von bodo »

I don't think that the Calender-Plugin is the correct location for this. A user won't expect it there. He would expect this in the EMail-Plugin.

From a usability standpoint it's not a great idea to put stuff together because of rules a user wouldn't understand.

It would be best to add this as a setting in the email plugin.
bullzeye

Beitrag von bullzeye »

The plugin name is 'Send an e-mail with an external application".

The feature I want to implement is to Send an e-mail(rfc 2446) without an application (unattended)
It should talk talk SMTP direct to an mail-server. (or use sendmail). The proposed application
in the e-mail plugin wiki cannot send rfc 2446 mails (Which is of MIME type) . The main page must redesign.

To put it in this plugin means that everything has to be written.. To use it in the export plugin
means that "to create iCal" already exist and only SMTP has to be written. In export calender main page there is only an
addition of an interface module in the GUI.

So the work is less and no change of the main page if using calendar export

Regards

Note: To use this feature, the application must reach an open (without authentication) SMTP server.
bodo
Site Admin

Beitrag von bodo »

Short question: where did you look to find a method to send an email? You tryed the most obvious: the send email plugin. It's very easy to remove the "external" from the description of the plugin. That's not a problem at all.

Nobody would try to find this feature in the calendar-export plugin. The Calendar Export Plugin exports directly to calendars. The iCal working in the Background doesn't interest the user because he wants a task done without the knowledge how it is done.

Usability is _very_ important to us.
bullzeye

Beitrag von bullzeye »

bodo hat geschrieben:Short question: where did you look to find a method to send an email? You tryed the most obvious: the send email plugin. It's very easy to remove the "external" from the description of the plugin. That's not a problem at all.
http://www.rblasch.org/studies/cs629/pa ... pMail.java

I dont know if it is free too use.

The only disadvantage (as I told earlier) is with this method is that the user
must have a SMTP server. Most people have this (But some need authentiation)

Regards
bullzeye

Beitrag von bullzeye »

bodo hat geschrieben: The Calendar Export Plugin exports directly to calendars.
That just what rfc 2446 do. Cut from the rfc document:
rfc 2445 specifies how calendaring systems use iCalendar objects to interoperate with other calendar systems.

so I see it as an export to another calendar.

and still do the 'export plugin' have the iCAL configuration. Should this be double in the tv-browser ?

or can one plugin depends on other plugins ?
bodo
Site Admin

Beitrag von bodo »

I repeat myself: don't put features where user won't except them to be only because it technically fits best :) .

And yes, you have to copy the iCal-Creation-Class to the other Plugin. BUT If you do this and add everything into the email-plugin, we can release it for the current version of tv-browser. After that I will refactor the iCal-Class out of both plugins into the util.*-Package of tv-browser. that way both plugins can use this class in the next release of tv-browser.

Write code that does what you want in the email-plugin, attach the patch here. I will package it and release a new version of the plugin. I really would love to see that feature in that plugin.
Bananeweizen
Site Admin

Beitrag von Bananeweizen »

Sorry for only interrupting this late, but why the heck would the plugin need any changes? If an external command is specified for sending mail, it gets all the necessary information. If it doesn't the send mail, the external program is not suited for the job as it cannot handle mailto: URIs. From my point of view there is no reason to change anything at the plugin...
Antworten