[TVB-851] Excessive logging in OS X

For talk and Help about everything concerning TV-Browser.
Antworten
SiRGadaBout

[TVB-851] Excessive logging in OS X

Beitrag von SiRGadaBout »

Hi,

I'm really enjoying TV Browser - it's an excellent addition to EyeTV and I'm using it to replace the software's built-in guide, which lacks reminders and Growl support. So, Thank You/Vielen Dank!

However, when I look at the Console I discover that TV Browser has logged over 3500 entries in just two days! For example (and this is the worst one), I have 7 entries of this in 1 second - over 2500 entries in total:

Code: Alles auswählen

PM Severe: Paint program is to large
And these ones happen a lot too (160 times):

AM Info: Channel Settings (day light saving time corrections/icons)
AM Info: Storing Window Size and Location
AM Info: Storing Settings
AM Info: Storing Window Settings
Is there any way I can reduce the amount of logging TV Browser performs?

I'm using TV Browser 2.7.5 Final on Snow Leopard 10.6.2 with the latest Java update (1.6).

Danke!
bodo
Site Admin
Re: Excessive logging in OS X

Beitrag von bodo »

No, sadly you can't reduce it. Is this a problem for you? If yes, why?
Bananeweizen
Site Admin

Beitrag von Bananeweizen »

SiRGadaBout hat geschrieben:

PM Severe: Paint program is to large
Sadly this one is _really_ severe. Our current understanding of that issue is that the virtual machine does a wrong calculation there (but only on Macs).
SiRGadaBout

@bodo:
Is this a problem for you? If yes, why?
Well, a number of reasons I suppose. I use TV-Browser all day and almost every day, so my Console log is going to get very big very quickly. It means I'm going to have to keep an eye on the file and see how much space it takes up on the disk. It'll also make it less easy to find genuine Console messages in amongst all of TV-Browser's messages. Finally, it points to something wrong somewhere…
@Bananeweizen: …which you've pointed out here. Is it a bug in something Apple have provided, or you've provided? If it's Apple, what would I report it as?

Thanks for the quick reply guys!

S.
SiRGadaBout

Hi,

I have another reason for wanting this fixed---I think Snow Leopard rotates the Console logs, and I can now no longer access anything in my Console from before today. TV-Browser has already stuffed it full of 4000 messages today alone.

Ta.
bodo
Site Admin

Beitrag von bodo »

Yes, Mac OS rotates the logs. But I don't know why you want to look into the logs regularly. Sounds a little bit paranoic to me :) .
SiRGadaBout

Hi,

@bodo: Normally I seldom look at the logs, but on this occasion I'm also trying to diagnose a Wake-From-Sleep issue unrelated to TV-Browser. Thanks to the log rotation (prompted prematurely by TV-Browser's error messages) I'm unsure how to access the log info pertinent to that issue.

Look, I'm grateful for TV Browser, truly I am. Like I say, its integration with EyeTV is excellent and something I've been looking for for some time. But please, stop trying to find fault with my motives when, at the end of the day, there's a clear programming error somewhere (probably either in Java or TV-Browser) that I'm not responsible for. So, please, get off my back… :roll:
John

Beitrag von John »

I agree with OP and would love to see the absurd amount of log entries that TV-Browser creates reduced to warnings and errors only.
It looks like TV-Browser generates log entries like it is in debug mode; at least this is what I recognise from a Unix development background.

And that same Unix background has me check the OSX console logs every day....

Any solution or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
John
iMac 27" OS-X 10.6.2.
Antworten