Schedules Direct - new data service

For talk and Help about everything concerning TV-Browser.
weamish

Schedules Direct - new data service

Beitrag von weamish »

The data service for Schedules Direct will be terminating on Nov 1, to be replaced by a "more modern JSON-based service using newer/better data feeds from TMS." Is this likely to have some effect on TVB's ability to use the data feed?

More info here - http://forums.schedulesdirect.org/viewt ... f=7&t=2577
ds10
Site Admin
Re: Schedules Direct - new data service

Beitrag von ds10 »

Well, that may be the case. But we won't update the schedules direct data service ourself. There are less than 50 users of schedules direct, that's way too less, to make any afford. But we will gladly accept any update of the data service that someone develops. That was also the idea behind the plugin interface, so that I don't have to do all by myself.
"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
Unterstütze die Weiterentwicklung von TV-Browser
weamish

Beitrag von weamish »

Ok, thanks. What other data services are folks using?
ds10
Site Admin

Beitrag von ds10 »

They use the EPGfree plugin, but that is not for North America. SchedulesDirect is the only data source for North America, what means only 50 people from millions of people use TV-Browser in North America. So you can see, that is not nearly enough to invest in it.
"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
weamish

Beitrag von weamish »

Wow, only 50 people in all of North America?! Guess I should feel honored to be part of this select group! :)
weamish

Beitrag von weamish »

Here's the info from SD, looks like it might be an easy fix?

==========================

It's a simple one-line change in code, explained here -

http://forums.schedulesdirect.org/viewt ... f=8&t=2591
ds10
Site Admin

Beitrag von ds10 »

Okay, that much I can do, you will find a test version with the new URL at:
http://www.tvbrowser.org/downloads/test ... ervice.jar
Just download it and DragAndDrop the file into the TV-Browser window.
jdonato

Beitrag von jdonato »

I'd like to thank ds10 for the effort in changing the Schedules Direct data plug-in. I am also one of the 50 "select" ones, and was really worried about this change. Later, I'll try the new plug-in...

Thanks!
gcar

Beitrag von gcar »

First let me apologize for my lack of understanding but does this mean we will no longer be able to get TV listings from Schedules Direct into TV-Browser after November 1st? My Schedules Direct membership expires on November 1st but no reason to renew if I can't get TV schedules. I have the worst luck with these programs, previously I used Digiguide and then they stopped supporting its US members.
jdonato

Beitrag von jdonato »

gcar hat geschrieben:First let me apologize for my lack of understanding but does this mean we will no longer be able to get TV listings from Schedules Direct into TV-Browser after November 1st? My Schedules Direct membership expires on November 1st but no reason to renew if I can't get TV schedules. I have the worst luck with these programs, previously I used Digiguide and then they stopped supporting its US members.
Schedules Direct will continue to provide their listings, even after Nov 1. More than that, they will provide two sets of data. Developers just need to update their code by changing two urls to the servers where the info resides.

ds10 provided an updated .jar file to test ...... BUT

I cannot get it to work, and it seems the original poster neither. The plugin loads Ok, it goes thru a shorter process of trying to get the listings, in my case it even tells me that the download is finished, but nothing gets updated...

ds10, can you help us here? Schedules Direct developers are willing to work with you and try to find a rapid solution: (from their forum in response to another user, not me:----

"Hopefully they'll test it some more, and work with us to get it working.
BTW, I added support for digest authentication a couple of hours ago, so that may help." ----

Hope ds10 can find the time to get this working. We already know we are a small percentage of TV-Browser users, but I really hope we are not left behind. In the past, TV-Browser developers have been great providing help and solutions. I don't have any reason to believe they would not help this time around (since it seems it could be somewhat of a simple fix.)

Here's hoping...
gcar

Beitrag von gcar »

Thank you for the explanation, I guess now it is just a waiting game to see if I will be able to continue using TV-Browser. I also tried the file I found in the forum but it does not work for me, says listings updated but they are not.
rmeden

Beitrag von rmeden »

Robert Eden here with Schedules Direct...

I installed Tv-Browser and confirmed it doesn't work with the new service. The data downloads, but doesn't import nor does it output an error. It should be a easy fix (on your end or ours), once I figure out the problem. I looked at the plugin source at SourceForge and see a call to getSchedules, but I can't find the code for that. (I've only done a little Java). I also don't see any troubleshooting calls that would output to a log file. Any idea how this can be troubleshooted?

Does TV-Browser support the XMLTV file format? I don't see an XMLTV plugin. One alternative is to use XMLTV''s tv_grab_na_dd to output a XMLTV file and then import it into TV-Browser.

Robert
Jo
Site Admin

Beitrag von Jo »

The library to get the schedules is at http://sourceforge.net/projects/xtvdclient/
rmeden

Beitrag von rmeden »

I tried to look through both the TV-Browser code and that XTVD library, but couldn't figure it out. I'm not a Java guy.

So far, TV-Browser is the only Schedules Direct approved app that isn't working. If one of the devs or someone familiar with Java could take a peek at it that would be great. It seems to download the data, just not parse it for some reason.

Robert
ds10
Site Admin

Beitrag von ds10 »

Try to start TV-Browser from a console, like DOS command:

Code: Alles auswählen

cd "C:\Program Files\TV-Browser\"
java -Dpropertiesfile=windows.properties -Xmx384M -jar tvbrowser.jar
(You may need to find the real location of the TV-Browser program directory and the path to the java.exe.)

You should see log informations about the download of the data there when you download data from SchedulesDirect, it may helps to point out the problem.
Antworten