TV_Browser and Atlas Data (Replaces Radio Times Data)

For talk and Help about everything concerning TV-Browser.
UK_TV-B

TV_Browser and Atlas Data (Replaces Radio Times Data)

Beitrag von UK_TV-B »

Hi,

Will TV-Browser support the metabroadcast Atlas database for UK data? New Channels aren't being added to the Radio Times database (which is provided by metabroadcast) and the Radio Times database will soon be terminated. Getting a key for the Atlas database from metabroadcast is simple and other applications have transitioned to using Atlas without issue.

Kind regards,
UK_TV-B.
ds10
Site Admin
Re: TV_Browser and Atlas Data (Replaces Radio Times Data)

Beitrag von ds10 »

Well, that would mean a complete rewrite of the needed plugin. And I don't want to do it.
TV-Browser was equipped with a plugin system, so that everyone can add new functions, so I think, someone else should write it.
"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
Unterstütze die Weiterentwicklung von TV-Browser
Gast

Beitrag von Gast »

Thanks for your reply ds10. Also, thanks for everyone's hard work on TV-B.

Do you know of anyone that would have the time and skill to develop a new plugin for the Atlas database? Without it, TV-B won't be of any use to UK users.

For reference, the information on the transition -

"The schedule above also means that the legacy Radio Times feed referenced here will be deprecated on November 1st (in line with this announcement on the Atlas list) and fully turned off in January 2015, so if you're a user and did not migrate to the new feeds already, use the next months to do so."

from metabroadcast.com/ blog/ atlas-deer-goes-out-in-the-wild
(minus the spaces)

Many thanks,
UK_TV-B
ds10
Site Admin

Beitrag von ds10 »

Well any Java deveolper could write such a plugin.
"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
UK_TV-B

Beitrag von UK_TV-B »

Hi ds10

Is it any easier to get the info into TV-B if xmltv downloads it first? Configuring at a command prompt is not as simple or neat as configuring a plugin within TV-B, but is possible. I managed to get xmltv feeding another TV guide program, but it's not as good as TV-B!

May I ask, do you know how many users you have in the UK - curious if there is a demand?

Best wishes,
UK_TV-B
ds10
Site Admin

Beitrag von ds10 »

No it's not easier to import XMLTV simply because it's often used by illegal data sources and we won't make it easy to use illegal data sources in TV-Browser. You can import it with use of EPGfree and the provided data tools, but you will need a lot to get it to working: http://enwiki.tvbrowser.org/index.php/P ... V_listings

I've already posted a news, that the RadioTimes data is being discontinued, we will see if someone will write a new plugin.
Bonzadog

Beitrag von Bonzadog »

Hello,
I for one woud like to Brish TV channes in TV Browser. I would be prepared to make a small financial
contribution.

All the

BD
UK_TV-B

Beitrag von UK_TV-B »

Hi ds10,

Thanks for the reply. That sounds beyond me, and probably many a user. So it sounds like if no one volunteers to write a plugin, TV-B dies in the UK, which would be a great shame.

How big an undertaking is it for someone who knows what they're doing? Is it a few hours, or a more serious commitment than that?

Where did you post the news on the issue? I was interested to see what response it got, but I couldn't find the thread.

Best wishes,
UK_TV-B.
ds10
Site Admin

Beitrag von ds10 »

Someone who really knows what to do will need a half a day to one day to write such a plugin.

The news is on the front page http://www.tvbrowser.org/ and in the TV-Browser NewsPlugin, so everyone who uses TV-Browser and didn't disabled the NewsPlugin should get the news automatically. Until now (almost two weeks since posting the news) only one German user had asked how to write a new plugin but eventually decided that it is to much a task for him.

If the Atlas database terms of usage allows to take the data and convert it into another format and upload that to other servers, it would be possible to convert the data to that of the EPGfree data plugin which allows to integrate new data. So Atlas->XMTL->EPGfree would be possible without too many work and would have the advantage that it would also instantly provide the data for the Android app.

The data tools for EPGfree (TV-Data StarterKit) containing a tool to convert XMLTV to the EPGfree data format. But to do all that one would also need at least one (better more) server to upload the data to so that TV-Browser can download it form there.
dianshi

Beitrag von dianshi »

I have found TV-Browser very useful even though the Radio Times data has some Freeview channels missing. It would be good if TV-Browser could use the Atlas data so I have started to look at what needs to be done.
ds10 hat geschrieben:If the Atlas database terms of usage allows to take the data and convert it into another format and upload that to other servers, it would be possible to convert the data to that of the EPGfree data plugin which allows to integrate new data
I don't think this is permitted as it breaks their "Don't download and redistribute the data" requirement but I am not a lawyer so I may be wrong about this.

The Atlas Terms and Conditions are about four pages long but here are a few extracts:
Access to Atlas is controlled via API keys ... Atlas router access is provided free of charge for up to ten users, so that we can support early development of apps, personal projects, and personal use of open source software. Beyond 10 users on a single API key, a charge is levied based on the number of users you have, and the features you use. Some sources also charge for data access, often based on the number of users.
In other words it is expected that each end-user obtains their own API key to get access to the Atlas data.

I am not a Java developer so I don't know if I'll be able to create a plugin.
UK_TV-B

Beitrag von UK_TV-B »

Hi ds10,

Thanks for the info. As dianshi says, there are restrictions on use of the atlas database, non commercial use, personal key, requiring an included copyright, etc. Obtaining the key is simple though.

If the download mechanism would help anyone understand access of the atlas data, xmltv on sourceforge contains a grabber for the atlas database so that code can easily be viewed.

Best wishes,
UK_TV-B.
AnBad

Beitrag von AnBad »

Does anybody has a solution because as I understand Radio Times Date will cease in two weeks?
martynjy

Beitrag von martynjy »

It looks like TV-Browser is a dead project now for UK viewers! I am on Arch Linux and now using FreeGuide with tv-grab-uk-atlas which works. Maxemum TV-Guide also reads xmltv data.
Jo
Site Admin

Beitrag von Jo »

The Radiotimes plugin still works in TV-Browser.
martynjy

Beitrag von martynjy »

Hi Jo

Yes but it is not being updated. There are no new channels added such as Channel 5 +24, Spike, trutv, Drama, ITVBe. so on. Also the radio listings are limited. I would link you my Atlas tv_grab_uk_atlas.map.channels.conf to show the channels offered (including both BBC and commercial radio) but I am not allowed to post and it is too long to paste here.

Without doubt TV-Browser is the most comprehensive program of its kind (on linux anyway) but for whatever reason (lack of interest, legal restrictions, difficulty) nobody who can write plugins has. Therefore the UK listings will remain static until they vanish completely.
Antworten