Can I Import an XML File?

For talk and Help about everything concerning TV-Browser.
Antworten
colin1951uk

Can I Import an XML File?

Beitrag von colin1951uk »

In view of the Radio Times feed demise I recently took out a trial account with Schedules Direct to take a look at their data for the UK.

Trouble is it's in json format but I found a way to convert it to xml but now I can't find a way to view it in TV-Browser.

I thought the Schedules Direst plugin would work but it doesn't, I think because it's aimed at grabbing the xml data from the Schedules Direct website but in xml format they only provided listings for North America which is no good for me.

If the data I've got is good I'd like to take out a yearly subscription with them so I can continue to use TV-Browser but it looks like I can't import my file in any way.

Is there a way I can view my xml file in TV-browser please?

(Just by the way the Radio Times feed is being switched off my Meta Broadcast on the 16th June and after that access to their Atlas api will be free for three months only on a trial basis. After the trial a small user will have to pay something like 100 euros a year subscription to continue having access so I've given up on them.)
ds10
Site Admin
Re: Can I Import an XML File?

Beitrag von ds10 »

In the light of this new information, if it is true, I'm now really glad that I didn't wrote a plugin for the Atlas data, the pricing seems to be way off the scale of a reasonable price for TV data. I'm even more sure now, that it is the right decision to no longer rely on 3rd party data.

To your question, there are three possible ways:
  1. write a data plugin that can read XML/JSON files from the file system
  2. write a new data plugin for the JSON data of SchedulesDirect, to receive the data without the need to convert it first (this would be the preferable option since you could make the data usable for others too)
  3. use the data system of the EPGfree data plugin to integrate the XML data, how this works is explained here
"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
Unterstütze die Weiterentwicklung von TV-Browser
colin1951uk

Beitrag von colin1951uk »

Ok I'll have a look, I'm no programmer so if we're talking about working with java I wouldn't be able to do anything.

I do do play around with stuff though so maybe option 3 and integration MIGHT be something I can fiddle with.

I was hoping I could just drag n drop the file but obviously TV-Browser doesn't work like that.

By the way the Metabroadcast subs for the Atlas api will be 100 euros a MONTH :shock: (and not per year as I originally posted) so it doesn't bear thinking about.
ds10
Site Admin

Beitrag von ds10 »

colin1951uk hat geschrieben:By the way the Metabroadcast subs for the Atlas api will be 100 euros a MONTH :shock: (and not per year as I originally posted) so it doesn't bear thinking about.
That seems to be a little overpriced. Maybe it's more like a fee for a company that then can use the data for it's software and provide it to all users of the software without the need to pay for each user separately. When I looked at the API last year it stated that a single user could use it for free for private use, with only a registration but would then not be allowed to provide it for others.
colin1951uk hat geschrieben:I was hoping I could just drag n drop the file but obviously TV-Browser doesn't work like that.
Most of the time the XML schedules are obtained illegally and therefor we don't want to support an easy use of XML files.
colin1951uk hat geschrieben:Ok I'll have a look, I'm no programmer so if we're talking about working with java I wouldn't be able to do anything.
Well you don't have to do it yourself, just find someone who can develop such a plugin in Java. Though when I posted a news about it last year, nobody wanted to do it.
"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
Unterstütze die Weiterentwicklung von TV-Browser
Jo
Site Admin

Beitrag von Jo »

Antworten