Import XMLTV files in TV-Browser

For talk and Help about everything concerning TV-Browser.
johny2k

Import XMLTV files in TV-Browser

Beitrag von johny2k »

Hi,

Is there a way to import XMLTV files in TV-Browser ? maybe using a plugin ? Or to convert XMLTV files into TV-Browser compatible format ?

Thanks.
bodo
Site Admin
Beitrag von bodo »

There is no direct way to import the XMLTV-Data due to copyright reasons. Most of the XMLTV-Sources are illegal grabs from Websites. We don't want to support this format. If we would, we could get into serious troubles with our current data suppliers.
Gast

Beitrag von Gast »

Thanks for the reply.

>>There is no direct way to import the XMLTV-Data

So is there an indirect way to do this ? :)

There are no plans to add support or make a plugin to convert XMTV->TV Browser format ?

Thanks.
bodo
Site Admin
Beitrag von bodo »

We offer a Tool for Data-Providers to convert it. Martin wanted to translate the Documentation of it. You can find it in German only here :
http://tvbrowser.org/providetvlistings.php

And no, we don't want to offer a Plugin that does this directly. The XMLTV-Format has some huge copyright issues. We don't want to touch that subject.
johny2k5

Beitrag von johny2k5 »

And no, we don't want to offer a Plugin that does this directly. The XMLTV-Format has some huge copyright issues. We don't want to touch that subject.
I meant a plugin or converter that should use a local XMLTV file (on user PC) and convert it to TVBrowser format and then to be able to load it in TVBrowser. In this way there should be no copyright issues from your side.
Not to host the XMLTV file on some server and user to download it.
bodo
Site Admin
Beitrag von bodo »

Most of the XMLTV Sources are illegal. The Files you store on your PC are illegal. That makes it illegal to import the Data. Most of the Sources grab Web-Pages without an permission of the Webpage-Owner. Many of the Webpages have a disclaimer that clearly forbids this.

If we would support the import XMLTV we (indirectly) support this illegal behaviour. We don't want do that. Period.
Zuletzt geändert von bodo am 03 Feb 2006, 10:29, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.
johny2k5

Beitrag von johny2k5 »

Ok. Thanks for your answers.

Do you know when the translation in english of TvDataStarterKit documentation will be made ?
bodo
Site Admin
Beitrag von bodo »

I don't know. But the Converter is *only* intended for People who convert data that is officially suplied to them by the copyright owner of that data (the tv-channels). Since you do want to use it to convert illegal Data, I have a bad feeling explaining you how to do this.
Norman

Beitrag von Norman »

Just to stop that spreading of false statements.

The xmltv data is not illegal - extracting public data from the web is as well not illegal as recording internet radio is. Even in germany it is not forbidden due to the fact that no copy protection is circumvented.

Supporting a file format is never illegal as long as the format does not break patents which xmltv doesn't.

However I understand that the TV-Browser team does not want to support anything that could upset tv stations. But the team should not proclaim that something is illegal which isn't. It is not true and nobody here is a lawyer and in german law somebody is not guilty as long as his guilt hasn't been proven. So xmltv is not illegal. Just saying that you don't want to support it to not upset tv-stations would the truth and enough. Better than spreading fear and uncertainty.

There are many apps for linux and Windows which offer a nice interface for xmltv - just take a look at the xmltv homepage and you will find something useful.
bodo
Site Admin
Beitrag von bodo »

1. German Law forbids private Copy of Data if you copy it from a Database (see http://www.lexsoft.de/lexisnexis/justiz ... =140508,64)

2. Some of the Internetsites the XMLTV-Scripts are crawling clearly forbid the storage of the Data. They only allow to see the Data on the Webpage.
Norman

Beitrag von Norman »

1. Thanks for the link which proofes what I wrote : The law you mention explicitly allows the legal copy for private use ( the source has to be legal - the source is the website which is the original and thus legal origin ).

2. The public data on e.g. tvtoday is shown without signing any contract. So making a private copy is legal ( Not to mention that books also state that copying is prohibited - yet copying extracts for private use is still legal ). Furthermore I do not find any statement on their site about the usage rules. Commercial usage is forbidden by the law you mentioned above - thats right. But thats not related to xmltv.

This discussion is superfluous. The point is that supporting a file format is never illegal. So the only reason for you not supporting it, is to be sure to not upset tv-channels. Which is alright.

But generally stating xmltv is not legal is a lie and shocks users. If - at all - a provider itself could be illegal in a certain country, but nobody here asked which xmltv provider the topic starter uses. So nobody knows if what he wants is legal or not. So a statement "What you want to do is illegal" is senseless.

If xmltv was illegal any of the many sites related would have filed a complaint or would at least have contacted xmltv telling the authors to stop that kind of usage. Never ever any company did this. And some of these companies definitly have a enough money to go to court.

I wish you ( TV-Browser team ) would finish this useless discussions by adding a simple line "Import and export of data is not the goal of TVB and is not allowed to prevent any possibly illegal usage." It could be as simple as that without spreading false word.
bodo
Site Admin
Beitrag von bodo »

You should have read it completely:

"(5) Absatz 1, Absatz 2 Nr. 2 bis 4 sowie Absatz 3 Nr. 2 finden keine Anwendung auf Datenbankwerke, deren Elemente einzeln mit Hilfe elektronischer Mittel zugänglich sind. Absatz 2 Nr. 1 sowie Absatz 3 Nr. 1 finden auf solche Datenbankwerke mit der Maßgabe Anwendung, dass der wissenschaftliche Gebrauch sowie der Gebrauch im Unterricht nicht zu gewerblichen Zwecken erfolgen."
Norman

Beitrag von Norman »

The reason why this discussion is superfluous is the fact that interpreting law is up to lawyers which we aren't ( I don't know if you are, but I think you are not ). I at least studied law for half an year, so why should your interpretation be better than mine ? You believe you know the truth - but I know that we both don't know it.

I at least wouldn't go and start to spread and proclaim false / unsure statements. ( Externe Produkte der Illegalität beschuldigen - aber die Denunzierungen auch von Konkurrenzprodukten sind ja hier üblich ).
bodo
Site Admin
Beitrag von bodo »

I am not a Lawyer, but I asked some Laywers about it. They all share my view ;).

(Und andere Produkte denunzieren is hier eigentlich nich üblich. Wenn du meinen Thread von heute meinst: da sage ich ausdrücklich, das es von einem "Fan" gemacht wird, nicht von TVGenial selber)
XMLTV developer

Beitrag von XMLTV developer »

Sorry to bring back an old thread. But many of the XMLTV grabbers are infact legal. The US grabber is using Zap2It DataDirect, with permission. The Swedish and Norwegian grabber is using data directly from the tv-companies themselves, with permission.

I believe the UK grabber as well is using data with permission...

Christian...
(Norwegian Grabber developer)
Gesperrt