Growl Notification Plug-In does not work anymore

Need help as a Plugin-Developers? Post here!
Bob.Tail

Growl Notification Plug-In does not work anymore

Beitrag von Bob.Tail »

Using: TV-Browser v 3.0.1 on MAcOSX Lion, Java 1.6.0_26, Growl Plugin v3.0.2.0
It does not send Growl Notifications anymore :-(
No error messages or any hint in system logs/console.
Who can help??
Thanks
Bob
Gast

Re: Growl Notification Plug-In does not work anymore

Beitrag von Gast »

This seems to be the problem why TV-Browser does not work with Growl v1.3 anymore, can 'somebody" work on this please?????

"I suspect the reason some apps no longer function with Growl 1.3 is due to Growl no longer supporting the library used by some apps to communicate with Growl via Java.
This means that those apps using the Java based interface have to be updated to use the GNTP specification to communicate with Growl.
This is not necessarily a bad thing given that Growl did cause issues in relation to Java for some users. Specifically, Java wouldn't function correctly in the browser with Growl installed."
(found here: forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1238469&page=2)

Thanks
Bob
Bob.Tail2

Beitrag von Bob.Tail2 »

SOLVED (kind of)!

Turned out that you can simply use "Run Application" and then configure GrowlNotify to send the reminder...

Cheers
Bob
Jo
Site Admin

Beitrag von Jo »

Fine that there is at least a work around. Thanks!
gast123

Beitrag von gast123 »

[quote="Bob.Tail2"]SOLVED (kind of)!

Turned out that you can simply use "Run Application" and then configure GrowlNotify to send the reminder...

Cheers
Bob[/quote]
hm. can you explain more exactly? thank you.
jdonato

Beitrag von jdonato »

Bob.Tail2 hat geschrieben:SOLVED (kind of)!

Cheers
Bob
Hi Bob
I would also like to know how you did it. Maybe a step by step?
Thanks!
Marc

Beitrag von Marc »

Hi,

I had the same issue and tried what Bob suggested. It was not working properly as the notifications were only shown after closing the TV-Browser app. Anyway I used the switch plugin and got the same result. Here is what I did (OSX 10.8):

1) Install growlnotify from the growl website (it is an extra program in addition to growl),
2) Configure the reminder plugin to call the SwitchPlugin.
3) Configure the growlnotify path in switch plugin, mine was "/usr/local/bin/growlnotify" (without ""), if it differs try to find your path by calling "which growlnotify" on terminal.
4) Configure the parameters in switch plugin. I had some problems as the first word is written in a new line, I therefore I provided "-m TV-Browser {channel_name} - {title}" as parameters (without "").

I would like to see the plugins source code but I could not find it here, where is it located?

Thanks+have fun!
ds10
Site Admin

Beitrag von ds10 »

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
Unterstütze die Weiterentwicklung von TV-Browser
Marc

Beitrag von Marc »

Thanks!

One additional hint regarding the SwitchPlugin. You have to disable the popup asking if the external program should be started, it is located under the misc tab of the plugin.
Marc

OSX Mountin Lion: notification center instead of Growl

Beitrag von Marc »

After getting Mountain Lion I wanted to use the notification center instead of Growl. As Hiss (which forwards Growl Notifications to the NC) does not support the growlnotifier app, I searched and found terminal-notifer as replacement. This time I was able to use the reminder plugin directly, so here is a step-by-step description of what I did:

1) Download the terminal-notifier terinmal program.
2) Extract it and copy the terminal-notifier.app to any location you want. I used:
/Applications/Utilities/terminal-notifier.app
3) Open TV-browser->Settings->Plugins->Reminders
4) Mark run applications and then push configure
5) Provide the path to the executeable, mine was:
/Applications/Utilities/terminal-notifier.app/Contents/MacOS/terminal-notifier
6) Provide the params, I selected channel, title and description:
-title "{channel_name} - {title}" -message "{short_info}"

The reminders are now send to the NC. So far I was not able to run the TV-Browser after clicking on a reminder, as the parameter -activate com.apple.org.tvbrowser had no effect (error:Can't find app with identifier com.apple.org.tvbrowser). Maybe someone can help out here. In addition the reporting program is always terminal-notifier at the moment.

Have fun!
Marc

Beitrag von Marc »

As I found no easy way to build a plugin via the command line here is what I found out (is it really necessary to set up an environment for building the whole TV browser to do so?). It looks like the apple script for sending growl notification is out of date. I checked the interface description on the growl website and found that the interface changed slightly. I think replacing:

final String script = "tell application \"GrowlHelperApp\"\n"
to
final String script = "tell application id \"com.Growl.GrowlHelperApp\"\n"

in GrowlContainer.java should solve the issue. At least the apple script was working after this change again and notifications were send via the script. Maybe someone can create a new plugin version with the change above for tests.

Thanks,
Marc
ds10
Site Admin

Beitrag von ds10 »

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
Marc

Beitrag von Marc »

Thanks alot. Sadly it is still not working so it looks like I need to setup an eclipse project and try to debug it.
Marc

Beitrag von Marc »

HI ds10,

Well I'm able to compile and run the TV-Browser, but I'm still not able to compile the plugin. I added the plugins source code and classpath to the run configuration but something is still missing, so the plugin crashes on start:
java.lang.Error: Unresolved compilation problems:
The type com.jgoodies.forms.layout.FormLayout cannot be resolved. It is indirectly referenced from required .class files
The type com.jgoodies.forms.builder.PanelBuilder cannot be resolved. It is indirectly referenced from required .class files
The import com.jgoodies.forms.factories.FormFactory cannot be resolved
FormFactory cannot be resolved

Is there any description of how to compile a plugin eg. like the one for the main program?

Anyway I then tried to load the plugin you provided and checked what happens. According to the output there is the keyword "id" missing after tell application:

00:28:32 INFO: Applescript start:
00:28:32 INFO: tell application :?: "com.Growl.GrowlHelperApp"
set the allNotificationsList to {"TVBrowserSendProgram"}
register as application "TV-Browser" all notifications allNotificationsList default notifications allNotificationsList icon of application "TV-Browser"
notify with name "TVBrowserSendProgram" title "14:45 Die Waltons" description "Channel 1 Die Verfilmung der Kindheits- und Jugenderinnerungen des Romanschriftstellers Earl Hamner jr." application name "TV-Browser"
end tell

Could you please have a look?

Thanks,
Marc
ds10
Site Admin

Beitrag von ds10 »

How did you added the plugin source code?
You should use Maven to import the plugin into Eclipse. If you use Maven you shouldn't have problems with missing packages.

In your configuration the plugin is at least missing the jgoodies-forms-1.4.2.jar in the Java Build Path.

I've added id after tell application, same URL to download as last time.
Antworten